Friday, May 27, 2005

A thoughtful essay

In my email was a gardening one.It started with the editor talking about his mother liked him to look presentable, when he was going out.His garden is seemingly presentable too.He got an email reply which i will lift in entirety...

"This is Mark. I am 16 years old and graduating the 10th grade Wednesday. Your story has impacted and reflected me so much! My mom had just passed away in February, and she wanted me to be presentable also. She also loved her gardens. After her passing away I have felt the need to take over and make her proud. I do landscaping in my community and at local businesses.
"I've just recently finished redoing my yard and making a special garden just for my mom. I first started using this website just for the designing part, but after opening some of the e-mails that BHG has sent me I've realized what more makes a garden. It's not just making the place look better, or doing it for the money. But for the results and passion of why you're doing it. I've become a landscapist because of my mom's passing. That's why I enjoy gardening. It makes me feel closer to her and a part of her, caring for the things she did. People that plant and garden have to have compassion and pride in what they do in order to get the results they want.
"My mom was the Miracle-Gro to my life. She raised me to be a leader and not a follower. She has made me into what I am today. I'd like to say thank you for your inspiring story. I've learned to keep up the work I've been doing and I'll get somewhere."

That is the coolest email though.My own plant taste was developed from my mother.Some parts of my garden are her favourites too.Its funny but gardening tastes, ideas, and techniques can be handed down from generation to generation if these things are allowed to develop.
The website the email originated from is http://www.bhg.com/bhg/gardening/index.jhtml

No comments: