Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hydrangea in a pot







The cutting that fell off Frans Hydrangea bush as we moved it from the bermuda triangle to the side border by her grass.

The cutting had some good roots and has been sat in the pot, just topped up with compost, on a saucer.It has been sat in the windowsill.

The plant has flower buds, and all the leaves are still a luscious green colour.When I move finally I will have the start of a Hydrangea bush.The quaint bush beloved by British gardeners with the flowers like footballs in shades of blue, pink, or white.
There are urban myths about how to make the soil acidic to turn the flowers blue. Alkaline soil makes them come out pink.Fran swore by using iron chippings to keep the flowers blue.
The old MAU (medical admissions unit) had enormous Hydrangea bushes by the fire exit door. Thats where I saw them, and started wanting to grow them. The hottest day of the year last year, and we took cuttings :)
Experience is a thing best learned from, they are better for taking in the spring when the plant is actively growing. Maybe four of five pairs of leaves would be best.
Fran used a glass of water to root the cutting. I used the cutting in soil with a pop bottle over the top to stop it wilting through transpiration. This one was just put into soil, kept moist, and given the best lit windowsill since it moved here into the indoor greenhouse.
I am sure master gardeners can tell me the best way to grow Hydrangea cuttings. They are beautifully foliaged, and this one has flowers developing as shown in the second photo.

2 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

I hope you are making progress with your new camera? The Fuji Finepix is an excellent camera and once you get used to it, there will be no stopping you!

It made me smile to think that you need a larger flat because the plants are taking over. You truly do have green fingers.

David (Snappy) said...

Hi Karen,Thanks for the comment.I have taken maybe 500 odd pictures on the camera so far.The plants are multiplying rapidly.I bet when some have been moved to the plant sale and friends i will end up buying more.The only good thing is being able to observe them close up daily.And photograph them.
If i had a garden I would take a daily whats growing walk.Gardens are nice in the evening after a stressful day.
I am slowly learning how to use the fuji finepix.I have read the manual and play about with the settings.I think the photos i have posted are generally clearer.The summer will hopefully provide lots of flowers to test out the cameras capabilities and mine too :)