Saturday, July 07, 2007

Raised Alpine Garden




Running along the Southern most edge of Harlow carr next to the Alpine houses was a raised alpine bed.It was soil mixed with lots of grit to aid drainage for water logged hating plants.
The ones I photographed were Crocosmia Lucifer, Some Lambs Ears, and A large Lavender bush.
The Crocosmia Lucifer were a beautiful red colour, but the flowers swung around in the wind.I had to hold them to photograph them. Krokos is greek for Saffron, and Osme greek for smell.
The lambs ears or Stachys Byzantina were a revelation for me.I have seen them on American garden blogs but generally distant photos for the colour of the leaves.
I was stroking the leaves and they were as soft as Lambs ears!If I ever make a sensory garden one of the Tactile plants will be the Stachys. Amazing plants :)
Lavender is well known to me, but still loved for its amazing scent, dried flowers, and to make Posys or Pot Pourri.What better way to edge a path than a row of Lavender bushes to brush past to release the Scent. What better way to attract butterflies and bees to your garden?
I will post two more photos tonight of Lavender.Tomorrow will the other parts of the Garden I saw. Hope it inspires you as much as it does me.

No comments: