Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SpringTime And Mice


How do i know Spring is here? The Daffodils are out everywhere in gardens and along side grass verges and besides stone walls.
The nodding yellow heads are a wander of British spring..
I went with Hils today to Swillington to visit the nursery. I bought masses of plug plants to grow on ready to plant the garden and the hanging baskets.
I enjoyed making about twenty hanging baskets last year from plants I had grown on from babys..
The sun was out occasionally today. All the Trees have started to grow leaves from swollen buds.
The garden has Chionodoxa, Hyacinths, Anemones, and Kerria in flower. I trimmed the Hydrangeas dead growth from last year.
The recent sunny days have inspired an explosion of growth in the Daffodils and Tulips in the garden. Flower buds have been lifted up now between the green leaves.
I potted up 146 plants this evening whilst listening to Music for Tired Gardeners. I was enjoying myself more than being tired.
Geraniums, Busy Lizzies, Fuschias, Million Bells, Petunias, and Mimulus. I also bought a Viola Labradorica which will have blue flowers and dark green foliage, and a new plant called Hieracium Maculatum Leopard which has blue/green leaves flecked with purple that grows yellow daisy like flowers...
I had to clean the outhouse to sort out my pots ready for growing on my plants.That took me a few hours. I found my green bag from Cheltenham had been used by a mouse to make a nest.
The seed envelopes and carrier bags inside had been shredded and turned into bedding. It would have been dry, warm, and protected from intruders. The mouse must have gone through a pipe hole somewhere in the out house.
All the plants are now chilling in their new pots, in the Cold Frame, or Growhouse. Spring is finally here.

1 comment:

joanna uk said...

Hello again David,
It's been a while. Finally some flowers out to write about.
You seem to have had no shortage of colour, and will have lots more after all that planting.I like the Star Flowers, which I don't know. I hope you will come back and visit again too.