Friday, August 07, 2009

Pleasure And Pain


I am the subject of the photo today, taken yesterday at the allotment.I was planting the Leeks that have been growing on in pots for months.
It was so hot that I drank two litres of Dandelion and Burdock, a fizzy soft drink.
The plot needs clearing as it is overgrown with a few years worth of weeds and grasses.
I got nettled, stung by Thistles, and sun burnt. The sweat poured out of me yesterday.
I found Rhubarb Crowns, two large Globe Artichoke plants, and lots of Raspberry Canes from the last person to use the plot. I planted some Red Cabbages, Italian Courgettes, Squashes, and a Pumpkin plant.
I made a three sided compost bin yesterday from wooden pallets. It is slowly getting filled up.
The rest of the year will be spent clearing the neglected plot, and getting a shed. I want to have drainpipes on the shed, directing rainwater into butts, like the three we have in the garden.
The nearest water is in the middle of the allotment.The clearing has generated a lot of plant material so that will be rotted down then returned to the soil.
The Butterflys were out in force yesterday. Cat collected a large tub of Blackberrys. Her fingers were stained purple yesterday from the Blackberry juices. We will make some Apple and Blackberry pies later. The allotment has brambles running the length of it by the lane and we seem to be the only people interested in harvesting them.
I read in the news about an elderly lady who has taken over her late Husbands plot in Newport, Wales. She got a letter from the council saying she must grow Vegetables, as she has been growing flowers down there. They want her to clear her allotment garden that she can see from her kitchen window.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8121638.stm
I saw Sunflowers, Dahlias, and Sweetpeas yesterday at the Walton Allotments growing alongside the ususal Cabbages, Potatoes, Courgettes etc. As long as she is growing something I do not see what the problem is.
I know from yesterday how much energy is used up clearing and digging over an allotment plot. I will be back there on Sunday if its dry..

1 comment:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

You've done a lot! Hopefully, the weather will cooperate! A blackberry pie sounds good! We have blackberry bushes growing around, but they are not ripen yet.