Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Raindrops And Gladiolus


The Gladiolus covered in raindrops. It has been raining heavily since yesterday. I was at the allotment untill 4pm when the dark clouds came over. It poured down with rain and stopped my days work.
I'm glad my hands have a day to recover after 11 hours in total over three days.
The clearing is continuing slowly but surely. I cleared most of the back along the dividing path between my plot and my neighbours.
The plan is to dig along the two sides untill they meet in the middle. Tomorrow is forecast for sunshine so I can get one more days clearing before I'm back to work.
The garden is still full of colour, and the plants love the rain. I need to do some trimming of our large shrubs and trees.
Some have grown unchecked for years and now impinge on each others space. The garden is developing slowly. this year was looking at what grew where, and what was pretty.
The fencing and swings need taking down, and some new raised beds constructed.
We are growing Carrots, Onions, a few Cabbages, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Strawberrys, and Beetroots in the two raised beds.
They have been very successfull. The allotment can grow staple things like Onions, Garlic, Potatoes, and Cabbages...
I want to try to grow Corn next year as it is all around the allotment. Plants bred for the English weather.
Rain drives you back indoors and makes you think about next years growing season. I can see the Sunflowers and Gladiolus from the window as the rain falls.

No comments: