Sunday, July 04, 2010

Joie De Vivre

The weekend is nearly over. I have been watching the Wimbledon Ladies and Mens Finals on Saturday and Sunday (Well done Serena Williams, and Rafael Nadal).
I went to see Hils today to watch the Mens final. I have come back home and have just watered the garden plants that were sagging from the heat.
I got an email from a lady who is working for Harley Botanic greenhouses.
"From the 6th to 11th of July the Hampton Court Flower Show in Surrey is celebrating its 20th anniversary. The world famous flower show proves to make a perfect statement in the British summer. Hartley Botanic attended the show last year and received a lot of positive feedback from attendees." Their link will be on the sidebar for a few days..
The show is set in Henry VIII's Hampton Court Palace. One of the Themes will be Gardens based on Shakespeares comedys. There is also a Midsummer Rose festival where the Rose of the year will be unveiled (the title of the post).
There are also show gardens, small gardens, conceptual gardens, sustainable gardens, and the Shakespeare gardens. These will be judged for medals as they were at Chelsea.There will be scarecrows based on the characters from the comedy's that the public can vote for. The BBC will broadcast three programs from there too presented by Joe Swift and Rachel De Thame.
The photo was taken at the Spring Flower show months ago. I love the amount of invention, and thought that goes into these annual flower shows. There is always a buzz, and an energy that can inspire you in your own garden. You always come away with new plants/sundrys/photos and ideas. I wish I was going to see it myself now I have written about it.
The summer flower shows do seem to capture the Joie De Vivre. The joy of living, gardening, plants and flowers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just popped into blogsphere before
battling on my daily commute - your photo really cheered me up! Thank you for always being so positive!

landscape gardener oxford said...

A great time of year to visit national garden events, country houses and ngs open gardens